Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Vietnamese Celebration











We were invited to spend the afternoon at our driver's in laws house.(Hao is the one in the picture with Natalie) I agreed to going knowing we would be the only ones there that knew how to speak english. When we arrived everyone came out to see "the new puppies in the window" That is what I felt like since everyone was gawking at us! They were smiling and talking vietnamese so we had no idea what all was being said about us...one of them even got her camera and took a picture of us!! The kids kept asking why were they all looking at us like we just stepped off of the mother ship! After a few minutes it was back to normal. Hao's wife is from a family of 8 girls and 1 boy. And then all of the girls had baby girls...so there were lots of girls at this one house. A younger guy was sitting on the couch across from us and said it was his first time going to the house as well. WOW SOMEONE SPOKE ENGLISH!!! He was very friendly and said he has been to Houston a few times and also to California to perform. So after many questions as to what he did...he is very popular here in Vietnam. He is in a band and was on a reality TV show here...kinda like the show "Making the Band" So they have made about 10 records so far. He is the guy playing the guitar in the video! The guy singing is the father in law of our driver. The more he drank..the more red his face turned!!! Oh I forgot to mention that part...When we sat down to eat...they opened a bottle of champagne and once that was gone we started drinking beer (bia as they call it) It seemed like with every sip someone took we had to toast. What we were toasting to I had no idea...So i kept toasting and kept drinking. Natalie was being a good sport at trying anything they put in front of her...even the steamed squid! Ok so once dinner was over with...father in law asked me if I Karaoke...I thought he asked if I knew what it was....So the next thing I knew he was pulling out his fancy system and handed me a microphone and a book. LUCKY FOR ME...it was in vietnamese and I do not know how to speak it just yet!!! HA! So he took the stage! This will definitely be a celebration we will not forget! Too bad Danny had to miss it all since he is in Texas! Maybe next time they can all come over and we can watch them!!! (sorry no video...i could not get it to work...I will try to email it)

2 comments:

Colette Frazier said...

Sounds crazy and fun! Alot like our experiences:)I'm glad you'll venture out without Danny. I'm sure it makes the time go by faster til he gets home.

Anonymous said...

Jill you're such a trooper. I bet it was a very FUNNY experience. Love you..nik